A guide to keep you informed about the night sky over Oneonta, NY, brought to you by the astronomer at the SUNY College at Oneonta.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Solar Observing

Sunday was a beautiful day! The sun was shining, the snow was melting, and at least for most of the day there wasn't a cloud in the sky. This afforded me the opportunity to get out the 4.5-inch Orion reflecting telescope to look at the Sun. Of course, I had a special solar filter that fit over the open aperture of the telescope, which made looking at the Sun safe for my eyes. (Note: Never look at the Sun through a telescope without a special filter!)

The Sun's activity has been on the rise recently, meaning the occurrence of northern lights will likely be increasing over the next couple years. We just had a nice show last week - which Oneonta missed due to rain that night - but hopefully there will be more to come. An increase in solar activity is typically tied to an increase in the number of sunspots, and it was sunspots that I was hoping to observe.

While there were no giant sunspots, there was one set of spots that was nicely visible through the eyepiece at 17X magnification, along with a few tiny ones peppered across the Sun's face. Here is an image I took by holding up my digital camera to the eyepiece:
In the upper-left "quadrant" you can see a small dark sunspot. The image is rotated such that the "top" of the Sun is actually to the bottom-left (a result of the Newtonian design of the telescope). Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a sharper picture of the sunspot with the camera, but the view through the eyepiece was great!

After sunset I noticed that the sky was clear so I put on warm clothes and drove up to the observatory at College Camp. However, by the time I got there (~9:30 p.m.) it had mostly clouded over so I went home disappointed. Jupiter rises at sunset these days, so you can see it shining brightly in the east after the Sun goes down. Through even a modest-sized telescope the 4 Galilean moons are easily visible, and I had hoped to observe the motion of those moons over the course of the evening. No luck this time, but the weather forecast is looking promising for tomorrow or Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment